The truck driving lifestyle is full of opportunity, adventure, and the freedom of the open road. However, with so many hours spent in the cab of a truck, the idea of “truck driver comfort” can start to feel like an elusive, unattainable ideal.
Nobody loves sitting still for hours a day. But with the right trucker accessories and equipment, even OTR drivers who travel hundreds of miles a day can keep themselves comfortable for the long haul. To help you maximize comfort on the road, here are some of the things truckers need to promote a healthier, more productive lifestyle.
The Best In-Cab Truck Accessories
Truck drivers spend most of their time inside the cab of their truck. Truck cabs operate as offices, bedrooms, kitchens, and living rooms all at once. This means you’re going to want to invest some time in outfitting them with some in-cab truck accessories. Here are some of the trucker gadgets and amenities you should look into:
- GPS: Truck drivers are often familiar with the best routes and shortcuts on the road, but that doesn’t mean they have every map memorized. Even the most experienced professionals will want a GPS to help them get where they’re going as timely and safely as possible.
- Coffeemaker: When you need to give yourself an extra boost of energy in the morning, a coffeemaker is a must-have. Not only are there options that plug into the cigarette lighter, but making your own coffee will also save you money in the long run.
- Kitchen Appliances: There are plenty of portable stoves, microwaves, mini-fridges, crockpots, and other appliances that can be easily stored in the cab of your truck. These will help you stick to a healthier, and tastier, meal plan while also saving you money.
- Portable Charger(s): Keeping your devices at full-battery can be challenging on the road. With a limited number of outlets—and a growing number of cords in need of power—a portable charging box or power station can be a godsend. A 12-volt charger outlet is your best bet, as these not only come with a built-in fuse but can also charge several devices at once with ease.
- Windshield Mount for Your Phone: You should never be on your phone while driving, but if your phone also operates as your GPS, then you’re going to want it to be visible. There are many windshield mounts for cell phones you can choose from, so take some time to find one that is durable and easily adjustable.
Promote Productivity with the Right Trucker Equipment
“On top of necessary items like spare clothing or sunglasses,” Trucks.com says, “additional tech equipment is vital for improving comfort and assuring driver safety.” While ensuring comfort in the cab is one thing, ensuring comfort by prioritizing a well-maintained truck is just as, if not more so, important.
Before you hit the road, consider investing in trucker accessories like a pre-trip inspection tool. According to National Retail Systems, “This gadget will allow drivers to perform their own inspection and assessment of tire depth, brake stroke, brake shoe thickness and windshield damage.” Not only will this handy tool let you “know when to bring the truck in for service and repairs,” but it can also easily fit on your keychain!
Some other helpful pieces of trucker equipment to keep handy include:
- High-quality working/driving gloves
- Multiple sets of clothes for different environments
- Reflective safety vests
- Backup pair(s) of sunglasses
- Flashlight—this one is especially important
Maximize Truck Driver Comfort
Staying comfortable while on the road is one of the most crucial, yet sadly overlooked, parts of the truck driver’s life. If you’re considering a trucking career, then be sure you equip yourself with some trucker accessories that will help your time on the road be as productive and comfortable as possible.
These trucker accessories might include earplugs for sleeping, exercise apps to help you workout, an electric blanket to stay warm overnight, or some seat pillows or cushions. Anything to make your truck feel more comfortable will go a long way toward improving your experience on the road, so get creative!
Here at Lily Transportation, for example, we make sure that all of our drivers are provided with brand new and late model trucks continuously maintained for safety, efficiency, and comfort. We believe our people are our greatest asset, which is why we do everything we can to equip our drivers with the very best equipment.