Platform for Continuous Improvement
- We must continuously improve or we will fail.
- We have found that meeting our customers’ expectations can only be consistently achieved by employing and following a standardized process that we call our Platform for Continuous Improvement.
- Our Platform for Continuous Improvement is comprised of KPI and PDCA.
Key Performance Indicators
We track a variety of metrics to ensure that we are performing at the highest level possible.
For each of our customers we mutually establish Key Performance Indicators that are both economic and service based. We continuously track this performance data and we review any deviations. Deviations require Root Cause Analysis and once we understand the cause for a failure we can revise the process and then test the new process.
Once approved we standardize revised process’s and train our people in them in order to continuously improve our efficiencies and our service to our customers and their customers.
What is tracked can be improved upon.
Below are some of the KPI’s that Lily tracks for our customers:
- On-Time versus Standard
- Delay at Customer
- Empty Miles
- Miles per Gallon, per vehicle
- Driver Productivity
- Delivery Overage, Shortage and Damage
- Delivered Cost; per Unit, per Ton, per Pallet… per Delivery
Plan, Do, Check, Act
Once a plan is in place, constant attention and improvement are required.
If a failure does occur, we focus first on fixing the issue and then we ensure it does not happen again.
To keep a failure from re-occurring we employ the PDCA process.
Safety is Our Top Priority
Safety is our highest priority and we have a comprehensive program to ensure that we operate in the safest fashion possible — for our drivers, our clients and the community.
- DOT Rating: Satisfactory
- DOT Safety Inspection: February 4, 2010
- DOT # 24491
- D.O.T. Files complete with MVR and PSP reports.
- Driver Physicals & Drug and Alcohol Testing as required by D.O.T.
- Driver Road Tests before hiring
- Two years verifiable experience required.
- Driver Logs & Trip Reports: verification of accuracy by managers
- PeopleNet E Log systems (Electronic on Board Recorders)
- Discreet Wireless real time vehicle locater and speed control
Safety Program Re-Enforcement:
- Tail Gate Safety Meetings: weekly frequency with every driver
- Driver Observation: by field management to observe employee driving skills
- Driver Award Program “ZERO”: Zero accidents, Zero log violations, Zero injury.
Accident Review Board:
- Driver Point System based on accident free driving
- Smith System Driver Training: 5 Key Driving Habits.
- Pro-Tread Driver Training: film study and driver involvement.
- All vehicles governed by location at top speeds of 60-65 mph.
- Speed gauge reports (vehicles monitored for excessive speed by speed zone)
- Mobil Eye lane departure and forward warning system
- Manager Bonus incentives to proactively manage Driver Safety Program
- Corporate Safety Department reports directly to President and CEO.
- All Accidents and All Injuries tracked and reported weekly to Senior Manaegment
- Safe Hiring: Driver Logs, PeopleNet
Lily is Green
Every truck operated by Lily is Green because of the fuel efficient design, technology and standards under which it operates.
Any color as long as it runs Green
Before you get worried that you have to have green painted vehicles delivering your product, just know that every truck operated by Lily is Green because of the fuel efficient design, technology and standards under which it operates.
Some of our sustainability initiatives are:
- Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) trucks in our California fleet
- Aerodynamically designed trucks – including Eco-flaps, sloped hoods, large air shields, cab extenders, aero bumpers and mirrors
- Cummins Diesel (ZERO) Emission Solutions
- Bio-diesel Flex-fuel – E85 fuel for our California fleet
- White Trailer Roofs – We try to help the refrigeration system burn less fuel by not working so hard to keep the products we deliver at perfect temperature
- Idle Time Shut Down – we reduce Fuel Usage and Carbon Footprint by limiting Idle Time to just 3 Minutes.
- SmartTruck Next-Generation Trailer Aerodynamics UT-6 system. It’s an EPA “verified” aerodynamic technology that channels the wind resistance around the wheels and behind the trailers as well as redirecting air from the roof and trailer sides out past the rear where all the drag occurs.
- Light weight trailers
- PeopleNet – Electronic On-board Recorder (EOBR). These monitor each vehicles fuel usage by driver to help better train them in fuel efficient driving and track progress to reward their efforts
- Optimal Delivery Design – We utilize logistics design software that helps us reduce our delivery route miles for fuel savings. Fewer miles means fewer gallons
- 65 MPH Top Speed – its more fuel efficient and it’s safer too!
Because of these initiatives Lily Transportation Corp. is a certified U.S. EPA SMARTWAY Partner.
Lily is also a Participant in the New York DOT’s program designed to reduce emissions in New York City. The program, called the Off-Hour Delivery Program encourages night time deliveries to reduce emissions and fuel usage by by avoiding deliveries during the congested daytime. For more info please read the New York City DOT press release about this program.